Korah

Day 1

The first thing we did that day; Goat shopping



Meat is only given to the kids of Korah on rare/special occasions. I had to keep reminding myself what a treat it would be for them every time I looked at this goat.

Second; We took a short tour of Project 61's location. There were 4 huts. A small dung hut consisted of a library and first aid room. There was an office in another hut, a hut where the kids ate, and a school room connected to a bedroom filled with bunk beds. There was also a kitchen, but unfortunately I never got to see that. We than went across a dirt road to a different ministry. Here women made necklaces and ornaments from clay and paper and they recently got a loom. Once again the rooms in which these women worked were extremely small and cramped.

Third; Our team of 30 broke up into groups and separated with guides. From there my group when to a woman's hut. Her house was incredibly small. She had one bed and a few other possessions scattered around. The hut itself cost between $8-12 a month, which is nothing here in America, but for her and so many other who reside in Ethiopia, it's a struggle. She and her husband both suffered from leprosy and they have 4 kids. We were able to ask her a few other question while she performed a traditional coffee ceremony. I was continually baffled during this trip at how little these people have but how willing they are to share and give what they do have. That is exactly what God calls us to do.




Matthew 6:19-21
19Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Romans 12:13
13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.




2 Corinthians 8:2-5
2 Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. 5And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will.




1 Timothy 6:18
18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.


Hebrews 13:16
16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.









Fourth; The kids had school today but they did come back to have lunch so we were able to spend some time with them. I was able to help serve the kids their lunch today, they had yellow rice with bread. This is one of the two meals that they eat a day, yet they were willing to share. Even at such young ages their selflessness is something to be admired.
After the kids were done eating I had the pleasure of meeting three kids. Teshome, an 11 year old boy, I had actually recognized from when he first arrived. I noticed him 1. Because he's a little cutie and had a smile that caused you to smile 2. Because of the books he was carrying. So after lunch I was pretty excited when he came up to me. He spoke good english and was proud of his notebook and the english he had written. The I met an older girl, Yerrentseur, and her friend, they were both 14 and favorite subjects were math. After only talking to her for 10 minutes she gave me a picture of herself as a gift and than gave me a sticker of a heart and told me she loved me. It's actually upset me how much they give to me and how kind their words are when we were supposed to be the ones blessing them, but like everyone said in our team meeting, they are the ones blessing us and it is so heart breaking, humbling, and one of the closest examples of Christ love I have ever seen.
It also amazes me how these kids choose you. I didn't once choose the kids I interacted with, they choose me. It's a God thing all the way. He knows who needs who and why. It's not random but His plan.



Fifth; After the kids when back to school my team and I went back to the guest house and had a recovery day.

Day 2

Today the kids took off from school so we got to spend several hours with them. We did several organized things today. We did bracelets, a tie dye craft, music and a candy cane illustration. I was originally with Teshome at the start of the day but he had to go to another room for a different craft. That is when I met Aymero who is a 12 year old boy and also best friends with Teshome. These were my boys for the rest of the day. They wrote their names on on my arm and I love you, than they placed stickers all over my face and arms. I looked pretty good. Later in the day other kids would come up to me and try to take the stickers from me, I was more than willing to give them the stickers, however my boys were not. They would slap the boys hands, push them away and told them no. They were very protective. When it was time for me to go to lunch they waited patiently outside, until I finished. When they saw me come out they ran up and both grabbed my hands. Later in the day the both wrote me a note telling me that they love me and want me to be their sponsors (all the kids, my boys included already had sponsors otherwise I would have said yes the second they asked). Than Aymero gave me a bracelet. Not only were these boys incredibly sweet, selfless and protective but they were also hilarious.







                                                                            We had a blast if you couldn't tell. 


I miss these boys so much everyday. I know my heart is at Noel but I also left a piece to these guys. I am praying that I will have the opportunities to travel Ethiopia to see them, even if its just once. But who knows the plans God has for me. One thing I have learned from this trip is that my plans and ideas, well, are nothing compared to the things God has in store for me. He has big plans for me, He has big plans for you. We just have to be willing to surrender it all to Him and say YES when he reveals those plans. 







These are two verses that have been a huge encouragement this week: 


It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
-Psalm 118:8


"Now this is the confidence that we have in Him,
that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us."1 John 5:14





One last thing before I go. I have talked about Wynne in a previous post, but just in case you have forgotten:
Wynne and he her husband Stephen are adopting a little boy, Camp, from Ethiopia. You can read more of their story here I don't know Stephen personally but I did have the pleasure of being able to  to talk and get to know Wynee over my trip. She is beautiful, talented and gifted, funny and has the biggest heart. So I can only imagine how equally amazing he is. From their video, that you can watch here you can just see their love for God, their love for one another, their love Ethiopia, and their love for the son Camp. So with all this being said you can help this amazing couple bring home their son! How do you ask? Well, I'm glad you ask. You can click here and donate just $1 and than pass it along to you friends and family! And please keep Camp and them in your prayers!  


That is all for now! 



Post a Comment