Bye America, Hello Rwanda


My time in the states flew by. With every passing day my mixed feelings about returning to Rwanda grew. I missed everyone in Rwanda, but when I’m in Rwanda I miss everyone in the states. It’s not exactly convenient having your heart in two places. 
When the day came for me to board the plane, I’ll be honest, I didn’t want to get on it. I’m not a crier, but suddenly I became that girl. You know, that girl that cries in the middle of the airport making everyone else around her incredibly uncomfortable? Yeah, that was me. When I was actually on the plane I was imagining telling screaming at everyone that I had to get off, and running to do so. I decided against it though, you know, to avoid the whole security threat thing, and instead buckled up and tried my darnedest not to cry again. 
Now that I'm back in Rwanda I am happy to report all those not-so-fuzzy-feelings are gone. On the 3 hour bus ride home to Gisenyi, looking out the window, I was reminded of why I'm here. I have a purpose here and because of that I am best self here. So while I already miss everyone back in the states, I am not only confident this is where I am supposed to be, but I am happy to be here. 


3 comments

  1. I love that even though it was incredibly difficult, you still did it. God's work is rarely easy or comfortable, but you pushed through and made the choice you know you were supposed to make! That's wonderful. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been very blessed by your blog and your passion for mission work. We need to keep our fields filled with people with a heart like yours. Please let me know if there is anything me and my husband and my women's Bible study group could ever do to help. God bless.

    Just letting you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award on my blog. Be sure to check it out as soon as you can :-). You don't have to do the typical acceptance blog post because of it, but I just wanted people to know about your blog. God bless.

    xoxo
    Ashley Danielle
    ||AlwaysAshleyBlog||

    ReplyDelete
  3. To say that I understood what you meant was an understatement. Being someone who have been working oversea for most of my working life, I thought I was the only one who felt that way; missing home when I was oversea and then missing everyone at work when I was home. Whoever said "out of sight, out of mind," probably wasn't feeling the same way we did. For me, it is more of "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." as said by Eleanor Roosevelt.

    Came upon your site through: http://mynewwifelife.blogspot.com. Pardon me for using one of your photos there at my Facebook page 'Symphony of Love' with a quote from Sophia Loren at: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=584367401590277&l=61af2fee1c. Please let me know if you do not like the use of it and I'll remove it immediately.

    Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience caused.

    ReplyDelete