Kenya Part 2

After getting a couple hours of sleep the alarms sounded and the day began with a real shower and buffet breakfast. I may or may not have enjoyed 2 croissants with strawberry jam, yogurt, sausage, cereal, fruit, and a few other things. Hey, I'm not surrounded by delicious food on a daily basis so I might as well enjoy it while I can right? 

After stuffing my face, Alison, her mom and I grabbed our luggage, met our driver Daniel, hopped in our safari van and settled in for a 5 hour drive. Oh but wait, that 5 hour journey actually turned into a 10 hour journey. Let me break it down for you. A woman from a tribe was stepped on and killed by an elephant that was passing through the village. The tribe people wanted the police to come and kill the elephant, which they didn't do, and in retaliation the people created a blockade not allowing anyone past. This created a giant traffic jam of tourist. The police were brought in, than what looked like a swat team was brought in and than a helicopter was spotted. All of that for a negotiation...which took 5 hours...in the heat...with no food...and a hole in the ground for a toilet. Not ideal. I made the most of it though. Didn't drink anything and played an assortment of games with roughly 15 kids from the village. Some of the games included, tag, duck duck goose, red light green light, Elise says (I thought calling myself Simon might confuse them just a tad), among others.

Soon the situation was resolved and we were on our merry way. But it wasn't long before we pulled over to the side of the road and walked a few feet to where several of giraffe's were just chillin’. It was amazing to be that close with no fence or nothin’. And that was just a preview. 

We arrived at our destination a few hours later. We were going camping ya'll. Now I grew up camping and hiking thanks to my dad and much to the dismay of my older sister but I hadn't gone in years, so to say I was excited is a bit of understatement. Now there were real beds, toilet and shower connected to the tent, so it wasn't 100% true camping, but close enough. Sitting outside, sipping on hot chocolate, anticipating the next day, I was in vacation heaven. 



















1 comment