Foundation for Dummies


Ok, let's just get some disclaimers out of the way. I am in no way a beauty blogger. I didn't start wearing mascara until college. I don't know how to apply eye liner. Eye lash curlers freak me out. And chapstick is my go to in the lip department. But I have had the pleasure recently in dealing with some lovely hormonal acne that has caused me to try out quite a bit of different foundations in an effort to cover those suckers up. So from a fellow make-up dummy to another here are my honest reviews....

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation
I have bought this foundation on two separate occasions. It is clay so it comes out a little thicker, but it is in no way shape or form "heavy". It overs medium coverage, not full. If you are looking for a more natural foundation look, but still wanting to cover up some imperfections I would highly recommend it. My only complaint is I noticed during the warmer days it would start to sweat off a bit, even after using finishing powder. I would buy it a third time, but would only use it during the fall/winter when sweating profusely is less of a possibility.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Make-up
I have also bought this foundation on two separate occasions. I specifically bought this foundation because so many reviewers said it offered actual full coverage. This was when my acne was the absolute worst. I was feeling insecure and wanted a foundation that would hide as many of my blemishes/hyperpigmentation spots as possible. Well, this bad boy certainly did that. It is 100% full coverage, especially when applied with a foundation brush or beauty blender. It never made my skin feel oily and I didn't break out from the heaviness. It did just what I wanted during that time, however now that my face has calmed down I would not purchase this again. When my face is happy I prefer a more natural looking foundation and dewy over matte. I would consider trying the "light"though.

Too Faced Cocoa Powder Foundation 
Let me just start with the obvious: this foundation smells like straight up heaven. Do you remember lip smackers? And how it was hard to resist licking them because they just smelt so darn good and real? Same thing with this. So besides the smell, it goes on and stays on nicely, however I don't feel like it gives much coverage at all. I've only purchased it once, a year ago, and still have a good amount left if that tells you anything. Overall, not horrible, but nothing to write home about.

COVER FX Natural Finish Oil Free Foundation 
This is a recent purchase but I'm loving it so far. It's a creamy foundation, so not too thick, not too light. Oil-free is always a plus in my book. When I was at the store a consultant told me this brand was previously only available to dermatologist. Not sure if that's true or not, but she sounded pretty convincing, and with all the C & E vitamins and non of the parbens or sulfates I decided to believe her. After putting it on my skin looks dewy and naturally covered with is exactly what I want during these hot summer months. I would suggest wearing finishing powder with the foundtion though otherwise you might get a little too "dewy" aka oily.

bareMINERALS Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream
Another recent purchase and another love. I bought this with the pool and beach specifically in mind. I still have some redness that I'm not comfortably with, but I don't want to be one of those girls that get's all dolled up only to sweat/swim it all off, so this is the perfect compromise. Plus SPF 30. This stuff goes on crazy soft. It doesn't look like I'm wearing anything but evens out my skin tone enough where I feel confident. On occasion I have put this underneath my COVER FX and its a great combo when I need just a little extra coverage.

MICA Mineral Foundation Powder
Last, and yes least. You know those cart people in the mall that you would walk into a glass door to avoid making eye contact with? Well I'm ashamed to say not only did one of them manage to drag me over to their booth, but she also managed to convince to buy this despit the fact that I didn't have a lot of money and really didn't need another foundation. People pleaser much? The foundation itself is not terrible, but it's also not worth the price. I have only used it on 3 occasions when I really didn't care about my appearance. It doesn't go on smoothy and it does clump in certain areas. Coverage wise I would say somewhere between sheer and medium. Now, I really have not used the right brush to apply this foundation so take this particular review with a grain of salt. But really 64 dollars?!

So lets hear it, what foundation do you love?

Post a Comment