Team Extreme

1. Thank you all so much for covering me in prayer since my last post.
2. I didn't think it was appropriate to mention in my last post, due to the seriousness of it and all, but I'm sure you guys notice the huge face lift my blog received from the very talented Melanie. She was awesome to work with and I absolutely love the finished product. You can check out her link right below my buttons!
3. So I know I said this post would be up Friday but better late than never.

Part 3

After bungee jumping we hopped on a 30-minute bus ride to go white water raft class 5 rapids in the Nile. Say what?Yes it’s true.

When we arrived we had a quick breakfast, lathered up with sunscreen and met our guides, Duncan and Godfree. Originally we were called “Team Godfry” but later we would become known as “Team Extreme.”

After meeting our guides we wasted no time. We got in the boat and began to practice. First it was normal stuff, like paddle forward, paddle backward but then it got serious. We learned how to duck in the boat, we practice flipping the boat, we practiced what to do if the boat was completely flipped over, we practiced what to do if we were stuck under the boat when it was flipped over and so on. So pretty much we were prepared for the absolute worst and then we were off.

The very first rapid was a class 5 with a waterfall. A freaking waterfall ya’ll. And miraculously we didn’t fall off. Yes, I know, are amazing, almost on a professional level, and clearly extreme. But unfortunately the next 4 rapids we submerged into the unknown. Which is mainly unfortunate just because it was incredibly difficult to get back in the boat. Well rapid number 6 came around and we actually had to get out and walk to avoid part of the rapid because it was “un-rideable.” (Despite the rapid being “un-rdiable” we got to watch in amazement as a safety kaiak guide rode the whole thing and lived to tell the tale. The guides were clearly legit.)

Well we ended up getting back into the boat about half way through the rapid. It was slightly terrifying witnessing the rapids from an areal view and than proceeding back into them, but hey, we weren’t called Team Extreme for nothin’.

When we got back into the boat we were warned there was a “bad spot” (they hadn’t used the word “bad” the whole time but we managed to fall out 4 times so we knew this was serious.) They wouldn’t tell us where exactly this “bad spot” was but when they said "paddle hard" we had to paddle hard. So you had better believe we were giving it all we had. And, yeah, we made it. No big deal.

After we made it successfully through the “bad spot” we were told that had we not been successful it would have been hard to help us out and we would have been under water for a good while. Well as soon as we got out of the “bad spot” we ended up falling out again.

The next two rapids we remained in tact and than came the final rapid. We were warned there would be one giant wave and it was more than likely we would be tipping over. This was the only point we weren’t even supposed to bother holding onto the boat and once our bodies inevitably hit the water we were to curl up in a ball, close our eyes, go to our happy place and start counting “one one-thousand, two one-thousand…etc”. Once we were to reach the surface we needed to make sure to look before we took a breath because more than likely another wave would be headed our way. Really comforting stuff before our final rapid.

I kid you not, we plowed directly into the biggest wave which ended up causing us to do a back flip. I got stuck under the boat for a good while. I am claustrophobic and if something is on my head causing difficulty to breath ie. a giant boat and thrashing waves, than I tend to go in to spastic-freak-out mode and will do anything and everything to get out from that situation so inevitably fear set it. Unfortunately there’s not much you can do when stuck under water so, I curled up into the ball, as instructed, and was just terrified. When I reached the surface I forgot about the whole “look before you breath” advice and took a breath and than looked. Luckily I was able to get in one good breath before another giant wave crashed on top of me forcing me back down into, now, one of my least favorite places. This time I decided to take our guides advice and relax.

Next thing I know I am above water and see some of my fellow Team Extreme members floating in the distance. We all hopped in the boat and paddled to shore where an amazing lunch awaited us. I’m talking wraps and kabobs people. Not a bad way to end the rafting experiences if you ask me.

After lunch we loaded into the van and headed to Kampala where I was able to eat soft serve ice cream, realize I had completely burned my legs, hop on a bus where the seats appeared to be made for smurfs, where we were crammed for 11+ hours, along the way pee in a field, get sick, and fight for a place in line at the boarder.

Quite an eventful trip and sense this eventful trip we have come to appreciate doing the “extreme” in life. Anything that appears extreme were all for it. A small list of some extreme things so far completed; Having a chugging contest, running 5 miles out of shape to Gisenyi, taking an hour long moto ride in the dark, eating our body weight, getting stuck in Kigali for the night with no place to sleep, eating chicken liver, and the list just goes on and on….because we’re extreme, in case you didn’t gather that already.  

Post a Comment