Courageously Trusting

 1. Have you heard this song before? 


*pause music at the bottom*


My favorite part: 
Where are you men of courage?



You were made for so much more.
And a little later: 

Let the men of God arise.

Last night I finally rented the movie Courageous from redbox. It was cheesy and predictable but I still managed to enjoy it. 

Than today I was thinking; how many men of God do I know? Men that serve the Lord with their whole heart? In that moment I couldn't think of too many but later today I went out to this outreach. 

I'm a youth staff volunteer for the youth group of my church. Two junior boys organized an outreach every Thursday. I have only been to around 4 but each time I have had the opportunity and privilege to talk and pray for people.  Each time has been a little different. The first time I was with a large group and we just prayed with a few people. The second time I got to talk one on one to an older woman name Phyllis. Our conversation allowed me to dig deeper into the word and learn new things (specifically on the subject of tongues). Last week I talked with a homeless man and two others joined me. Finally today. Today it was just Daniel (one of the boys who organized the whole thing) and I. We got to talk to the same homeless man as last week but not very long. We continued walking around looking for someone to talk to when we met Christian. He was sitting on the bench eating when Daniel asked if there was anything we could pray with him about. He was really surprised but thankful that we wanted to do that. He told us a few things we could pray for him about and so we did. After we prayed we began to talk a little more. Christian told us a some more of his story and Daniel shared the gospel with him. 

I really didn't talk much but instead listened and was so encouraged by Daniel's passion, wisdom, knowledge, and love for God. Daniel was courageous. 

I know there are so many more men that have that same passion and love for Christ. The song, the movie and today just reminded me how much I need to pray for these men daily. I have a Dad, a Brother, Grandfathers, Pastors, and friends that need encouragement and prayer to be/continue being men of God. I want to encourage you to do the same, prayer for the men in your life. 

*The resolution was my favorite part 

"I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children. I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home. I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me. I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength. I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly. I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy. I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion. I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family. I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged. I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God. I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will. I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory."

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. —Joshua 24:15

2. I was playing at the park today with Gigi and Natalie. Natalie was on top of the playground I was on the ground watching. She would precede to run full speed and jump into my arms. I noticed that she never once hesitated to jump. Even if my arms were by my side she knew that I would catch, that I wouldn't let her fall. Why? Because she trusts me. She knows I love her and wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. That is faith! 

Do I run and leap into God's arms without hesitating? Or do I sit back calculate and ask Him repeatedly, "You're going to catch me right? You wont let me fall? Promise? I'm just not sure. I don't know if I can trust you to catch me. I mean, what if you drop me? It will hurt." 

Who's arms better to fall into than Gods? 

Let Him have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. 1 Peter 5:7 

I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him. Psalm 40:1-3

Yes, the Lord hears the good man when he calls to Him for help, and saves him out of all his troubles. The Lord is close to those whose heart is breaking; He rescues those who are humbly sorry for their sins. The good man does not escape all troubles - he has them, too. But the Lord helps him in each and every one. Psalm 34:17-19

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31

Let not your heart be troubled. You are trusting God, now trust in Me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so you can always be with Me where I am. If this weren't so, I would tell you plainly. John 14:1-3

Be strong! Be courageous! Do not be afraid of them! For the Lord your God will be with you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you. Deuteronomy 31:6

Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with My victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10

He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in Him, whose thoughts turn often to the Lord! Trust in the Lord always, for in the Lord, Jehovah, is your everlasting strength. Isaiah 26:3-4

What can we ever say to such wonderful things as these? If God is on our side, who can ever be against us? Since He did not spare even His own Son for us but gave Him up for us all, won't He also surely give us everything else? Romans 8:31-32

I am holding you by your right hand - I, the Lord your God - and I say to you, don't be afraid; I am here to help you. Despised though you are, fear not, Oh Israel; for I will help you. I am the Lord, your Redeemer; I am the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 41:13-14

Trust the Lord completely; don't ever trust yourself. In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success. Proverbs 3:5-6

And we know that all that happens to us is working for our good if we love God and are fitting into His plans. Romans 8:28

We are saved by trusting. And trusting means looking forward to getting something we don't yet have - for a man who already has something doesn't need to hope and trust that he will get it. But if we must keep trusting God for something that hasn't happened yet, it teaches us to wait patiently and confidently. Romans 8:24-25

3. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

If you asked me this questions about a year ago I would have said:

1. The scream mask. Read 20 questions in previous post to understand.
2. Centipedes. When I was younger I was out hiking when I overheard someone say "If one bites you you'll die in 15 seconds so stay away!" 
3. The ocean. You can't see anything clearly so who knows what's swimming near by. 

Isn't it funny how God work out todays question with all my thoughts? I can honestly say that I'm really not afraid of those things anymore. I'm not trying to give you the Sunday School answer, but I could not think of anything that I'm afraid of. Not because I'm incredibly brave, because I'm not in the slightest, but because I am trusting God, I have faith, so I have nothing to fear! 




Post a Comment