Do Over

After my post on fear I kept reading fear passages so I thought it was necessary to expand a little:

Luke 12: 4-7 I tell you my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw ou into hell. Yes, I tell you fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Proverbs 14:16 A wise man fears the Lord and shun evil, but a fool is hotheaded and reckless.

Proverbs 14:26, 27 He who fear the Lord has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refugee. The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.

Psalm 60:4 But for those who fear you[God] you have raised a banner to be unfurled against the bow.

I love how God is really using these questions!

Before I answer another question I have a little short story to share:

Every Thursday I go to outreach in Baker Park near where I live. I drive straight from work to the park. Normally I'm excited to get there but for some reason this past Thursday I wasn't.
I got out of my car and began walking around looking for some of the kids from the youth group when I spotted Anglo (the homeless man I talked about also in my fear post). I immediately cut across to lawn to avoid him. (Trust me, I'm not proud of that). As soon as I did that I thought, "Ok, that is not ok. Christ would not have done that. Yes this man is crazy and I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with him because of that but that's just me putting God in a box. Who am I to say what Christ is capable of doing in that situation?"
I decided to sit down and read a chapter form the Bible. Praying for God to speak to me, to tell me what to do. (Go talk to someone who would actually listen, or talk to Anglo and listen to him).
Well I read from Luke 15. It wasn't until I got to the parable of the lost son that I felt God speaking to me.

Luke 15: 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods tht the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
(The last time I talked to Anglo he told me how hungry he was)

Luke 15:20 His father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
(This is how God reacts when we repent and come to Him. God's love is constant, patient and welcoming. He will search for us and give us opportunities to respond, but he will not force us to come to him.)

After reading I immediately walked over to my car, got in, and drove to sheets. I grabbed a sandwich, some water, and a few other snakes and drove back to the park. Anglo was still at the same bench. I walk over, said hello, gave him his bag of food, told him why I gave it to him, and than listened to him talk for 20 minutes about the construction around Downtown Frederick.

When Christ walked on earth he did not ignore needs. We must never ignore the fact that all of us have both physical and spiritual needs. It is impossible to minister effectively to one type of need with out considering the other.
While I do not know if I made even the slightest impact on Anglo, God does. He is clearly is using me and wants me to love on Anglo. So I will continue to obey and do just that.


4. List 10 things you would tell your 16 year-old self, if you could.


I would scold myself. 
1.   Run with a purpose; To glorify God with the gift he has given you.
2. Be a leader and an example. Don’t shrink back and conform out of fear. 
3. Boys should not consume you life. Instead allow your creator to do just that.
4. Your birthday party will be pretty awesome. Thank your Mom and Dad and put Christina on your team (trust me you wont live it down).
5. Don’t allow the opinions of others to affect you but rather allow Gods opinion to triumph over all. His is the only one that matters in the end.
6. Be bold and share your faith in school.
7. Hang out with Erin and Kyle more. Soon you will be grown-ups!
8. Stop being so selfish. Educated yourself on what’s happening to children, teenagers, families, people around the world. Show God loves to His precious children. All of them, not just the ones you like.
9. Read the Bible more! It’s a beautiful gift God has written for you. Pray more! Just another gift and form of communication to your Father in Heaven. 
10. Pretty much your life is going to change dramatically in a couple years. You can prepare by walking hand in hand with God, trusting, obeying, loving, and honoring Him in everything you do. It wont be easy, but I promise it is so worth it.

 I don't look that much different do I? 

16th Birthday







1.

Post a Comment