Goodbyes

Today I had to say my first goodbye. My Grandparents came over from Iowa to spend a couple days with my family. The Holst's are just a fun group. If I were to describe that side of the family I would choose a few select words. Funny, loud, competitive, argumentative, gamers (board games/card games/dice games whatever they can think of), loving and caring.  I love my family.

I will not see them until I'm 22 years old. That's a little hard to shallow at times. Growing up in a military family I am used to only seeing my extended family once a year but that doesn't make this any less easy. In a weird way that actually makes it harder. I want to know my family, I mean actually know them as individuals, on a personal level. I want to spend time with them for more than a week at a time once a year. Prior to my trip I had decided to spend half my summer in Mississippi with the Cooper side and the other half in Iowa with the Holst side hoping to accomplish just that. After my trip, as most of you know, things changed, I changed, which caused my plans to change. Knowing that I wont see them for at least another year and half is hard. I will miss my family.

God has blessed me with an amazing set of parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends, all of which have played roles in my life. The goodbyes will only get harder as my leaving date nears. But you know what? I know that this is where God wants me. This is what He asked of me. He has asked me to leave my family and friends, trust Him and go and make disciples and care for His orphans. I can take comfort in that. I can lean on God for He will never leave or forsake me. He has plans to prosper me, not to harm me, to give me a future. He is my forever family.

This journey that I have said "yes" to will not be an easy one but God is bigger than all of it. I will continue to trust in Him and follow Him no matter what the cost for He is worth it.

Post a Comment